Officials at the National Sports Center (NSC) today issued an urgent plea to people to be aware of the need for safety when using the facilities.
It comes after a person was seen using what appeared to be portable gas stove to prepare a meal, while sitting in the grandstand.
“We want everyone to be able to enjoy themselves, but this was potentially a very dangerous thing to do,” said Craig Tyrrell, SVP Operations Manager at the NSC. “While I am sure this was done with the best intentions, it was very reckless.”
“All food and beverage preparation or service must be approved by management in advance and must be accompanied by the necessary health certificates.”
Recently the NSC urged the public to obey the rules around the Centre after staff saw things like trucks being driven onto fields, sprinkler systems being moved, irrigation heads being damaged and people walking dogs onto fields and not picking up after them.
Tyrrell added, “We want to be as accessible and welcoming to everyone. This is a fantastic place for the entire community to enjoy and we want to keep it that way. I would urge people to obey the rules and keep safety and the wellbeing of others in the forefront of their minds.”