The World Match Racing Tour (WMRT) announced its 2021 world championship season with a 17-event schedule across 11 countries, including Bermuda and the inaugural WMRT Final in Shenzhen, China on December 15th-19th, 2021.
The 2021 season announcement has been made later than planned this year following the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and recovery, and the necessary re-scheduling of some events.
Like last year, the 2021 WMRT season will comprise of ‘World Tour’ events and ‘World Championship’ events. All events are organized under World Sailing rules as Open match racing events, allowing both men and women skippers, as well as mixed teams to compete. ‘World Championship’ level events award higher points to the WMRT leader-board, and prize money of at least USD75,000.
Bermuda Gold Cup will be the 16th stop on the tour and it is also a World Championship event. The Bermuda Gold Cup is scheduled to take place from September 27th – October 2nd.
2021 World Match Racing Tour Schedule:
1. Szczecin Match Race, Poland, 30 April – 2 May
2. Porto Montenegro Match Race, 7-9 May
3. NJK Open Spring Cup, Finland, 21-23 May
4. GKKS Spring Cup, Gothenburg, Sweden, 29-30 May
5. GKSS MATCH CUP MARSTRAND*, Marstrand, Sweden, 6-10 July
6. Internationaux de France Match Racing, Pornichet, 29 July – 4 August
7. The Chicago Cup, 6-8 August
8. International Match Race for the Detroit Cup, 19-22 August
9. Baltic Match Race, Estonia, 25-29 August
10. Oakcliff International, Oyster Bay NY, 27-30 August
11. Thompson Cup, Oyster Bay NY, 1-4 September
12. Ficker Cup, Long Beach USA, 9-12 September
13. Match Race Germany, Lake Constance, 8-12 September
14. THE CONGRESSIONAL CUP REGATTA*, Long Beach USA, 14-19 September
15. DBS Marina Bay Cup, Singapore 30 Sept-3 Oct
16. BERMUDA GOLD CUP*, 27 Sept – 2 Oct
17. SHENZHEN BAO’AN MATCH CUP, WMRT FINAL* Shenzhen, China, 15-19 December*WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP EVENTS