Mackenzie Cooper was recently named the Skipper of TeamBDA for the 2017 Red Bull Youth Americaís Cup. Itís an opportunity that he calls ďa dream come trueĒ. The 22-year-old went to Warwick Academy before attending Tabor Academy in the US. He is presently taking a year off from St. Maryís College of Maryland to prepare with TeamBDA. The Southampton resident has three younger siblings and has been sailing since the age of seven. Being Skipper doesnít necessarily mean Mackenzie will take the helm for the regatta in June and he is, in fact, training as both a helmsman and tactician.
Below we get to know the Skipper of TeamBDA a little bit better:
1. Who is the Bermudian you most admire? My grandfather, he built our family and a business to the highest of standards.
2. Who is your sporting hero? My sporting hero is Rafael Nadal. He fights for every last point no matter what.
3. If you werenít on Team BDA you would beÖ? In School.
4. What would surprise people about you? I don't like the beach.
5. What do you do in your spare time? Hang out.
6. Somerset or St. Georgeís? Somerset.
7. What is your favourite Bermuda symbol or icon? Pink sand because it's unique, but I still don't like the beach.
8. What is your favourite or most used Bermudian phrase? Stop ya noise!
9. If you could choose a new first name what would it be? Otis
10. What are three songs you love right now? Whatever is playing on the radio.
11. Whatís your favourite flavour of ice cream? Coffee.
12. Netflix binge watching? I don't watch Netflix.
13. What is one movie you think everyone should see? Hidden Figures.
14. What muscles do you have now that you didnít have before? All of them.
15. How many push-ups could you do before TeamBDA and how many can you do now? A little to a lot.
16. What DO you eat or drink now that you didnít before? Protein, protein, protein.
17. What DONíT you eat or drink now that you did before? I have less snack food during the day.